University - Now and Then
The State Educational Institution "Khujand State University named after academician Bobojon Gafurov" is one of the oldest universities in the country since its establishment. Initially it was established as Khujand Higher Educational Institute (Leninabad Higher Pedagogical Institute) and in 1938 was named as Leninabad State Pedagogical Institute named after S.M.Kirov, and later in 1991 was awarded the status of the University.
There were only two departments: chemistry and biology and physics and mathematics in Leninabad Pedagogical Institute, where 26 students studied. In the records, the name of the institute is mentioned as VPI in Russian abbreviation and is interpreted in two ways: Teacher Training Higher Institute and Teacher Training Evening Institute. At the period of Soviet Union, Leninabad State Pedagogical Institute named after S.M. Kirov was the only Higher school in Leninabad Oblast. By the order of the Supreme Council of the USSR, dated from September 9, 1982, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary of its establishment Leninabad State Pedagogical Institute named after S.M.Kirov was awarded with the Order of “HonorableSymbol” for the best contribution in training of specialistsin the fields of science and education.
After the obtaining of independence Tajikistan there were some changes and on the basis of it Leninabad State Pedagogical Institutenamed after S.M. Kirov transferred into Khujand State University. The order of President Kakhor Makhkamov from June 13, 1991 on transformation of Khujand state pedagogical Institute into Khujand state University was accepted with pleasure and great satisfaction by the teachers and students’ staff, Khujand citizens and the entire whole viloyat.
On April 26, 1997, the decision of the Chairman of the government of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon,the name of academician B. Gafurov was given to Khujand State University. The 65th anniversary of KSU was celebrated on April 30, 1997 with participation of President Emomali Rahmon. In his speech the head of the state noted that: "A year before, during our meeting with the intelligence of the viloyat, which was held at this University, it was suggested to give the name of Bobojon Gafurov to the University. Fortunately, today this beneficial intention came true. The naming of Khujand state University after academician Bobojon Gafurov has symbolic meaning. This wise scientist and well-known politician made a great contribution tointroduce the history, the science and the culture ofTajik people to the world. On the one hand, giving the name of Bobojon Gafurov to Khujand state University means honoring his memory, and on the other hand, there is hope that the graduators of this Educational establishment will become the followers of this prominent man of our nation and will serve for the benefit andprosperity of our beloved Tajikistan".
In 1998, there were 14 faculties at Khujand State University named after academician Bobojon Gafurov and 11 thousand students studied there. There were 700 teachers, 24 doctors of science and nearly 200 candidates of sciences and all of them were involved in the study, education and research work in 63 departments. There were 33 classrooms, 43 laboratories, 4 educational workshops, 2 gyms, the museum of the history of the university and the museum of the flora and faunas at the university. During the 1995-2000 67 candidates and 11 doctors defendedtheir dissertations. In 2011, Khujand State University trained specialists on 37 specialties. The number of students at full-time and part-time departments was more than 12,000 students. Nowadays, there are 17 faculties including 77 chairs, 9 interdepartmentalchairs, Technology Parks, Scientific Centers and a library at the University. There are 74 specialties in the full-time departments and 29 specialties in the part-time departments. The studies are based on standards and curriculum of education at the university. In all 17 faculties, the process of education is based on the credit system of education.
There are 8 educational buildings, 6 dormitories, 356 classrooms, 101 laboratories, 130 special classrooms, 76 studies, 47 classrooms, 70 language laboratories, 154 electronic boards, 304 projectors, 1200 personal computers, 16 servers and biological, chemical, electro technical laboratories, central networkwith optical fiber which is invaluable in Tajikistan. Central, digital and electronic libraries contain more than 500 thousand books. 4338 students study on budget basis and 16290 students study on commercial basis at the university.
The University is proud of academicians, world-known scientists, astronomer Pulod Bobojonov, outstanding chronolist Numon Nematov, famous naturalist Yusuf Nosirov, famous scientists Saydullo Abdulloev, Razok Ghaforov, the First Doctor of Philosophy in Central Asia Munzifha Ghafarova, outstanding person as Gafur Haidarov, well-known scientist and writer Atakhon Saifulloev, prominent statesmen Abdulahad Qaharov, Rifat Hojiev, Ibodat Rahimova, generals Qodir Khobilov,Abdurazzak Yusupov, Temurjon Rahimboev, diplomats Abdulkim Qayumov, Islam Yoqubov, Nizomiddin Zohidov, poets and writers of Tajikistan Aminjon Shukuhi, Hoji Sodik, Muhiddin Farhat, Abdumalik Bahori, Burhon Farrukh, Ozod Aminzoda, Farsona, Bahrom Firuz, famous national artists of the Soviet Union Jurabek Murodov and Zebo Aminzoda, famous national artists of TajikistanJurabek Nabiev, well-known Artist of the USSR Zulfiya Bahriddinova, and a lot of others.
These outstanding personalities, due to their talent and devotion to their ideas and to their beloved motherland, could bewithout any doubt unforgettable models for future generations.
Alongside with these prominent people we can enumerate the names of the worthy followers, who made Khujand State University famous with their scientific and educational achievements, such as the former rectors of the University: Muhammadjon Sharipov - 1932-1934, Uguloy Shamsiddinova - 1934-1935, Jusuf Eshonov - 1935-1936, Habibullo Nematulloev - 1937-1938, Lev Efimovich Mesendznikov - 1938 - 1942, Chikorin K.V. - 1942-1944, Maksudjon Mirmulloev - 1944-1946, Said Kholmatov - 1946-1951, Rakhmat Homidov - 1951-1959, Pulod Hamrokulov - 1959-1965, Karim Ibragimov - 1965 - 1970, Abdusattor Kobilov - 1970 - 1973, Sattor Kayumov - 1973 - 1986, Saidmuhammad Karimov - 1986-1994, Abduvohid Rozikov - 1994-1995, Saydullo Abdulloev - 1995 - 2001, Nosir Salimov - 2001 - 2010, Nizomiddin Zohidov - 2010, VakhobNabiev - 2010 - 2012, Gafur Usmanov - 2012 - 2014, Anvar Maksudov - 2014 - 2017, vice rectors R.Abdulloev, A.Sattorov, Muhammad Osimi, K.Tohirova, V.S.Kupriyanov, T. Maksudov, A. Tursunov, H.Ochilov, B. Hojiboeva, S.Homidov, V.Ionova, H. Saidov, A.Abdukodirov; first teachers, B.M.Komarov, A.Dibrov, F.Abdullozoda, A.P.Pisarev, A.T. Zemlyakov, A. Mirpochoyev and others.
Two former rectors of the university, professors S.Abdulloev and N. Salimov were members of the Majlisi Milli of Majlisi Oli of the Republic of Tajikistan, besides the professor of the University Usmonjon Gafforov was first elected as the member of the Majlisi Milli Majlisi Oli of the Republic of Tajikistan, and the former vice rector of the university A. Bobokalonov, professor B.Rizoev were chosen as the members of the Majlisi Namoyandagon of Majlisi Oli of the Republic of Tajikistan, became famous not only as outstanding scientists, but also known as prominent statesmen.
Nowadays, the academician Nosirjon Salimov is the director of the Institute of Literature and Languageof the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan. And the former Rector of the University professor Nizomiddin Zohidovisthe Vice - Minister of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan.
The years of Independence appeared to be the brightest pages and prosperity of the University in the process of development.In 1991 whentheState Pedagogical Institute named after S.M. Kirov gained the status of the university a new noticeable period of life and creative activity of the University has considerably increased, the requirement to the process of education and upbringing has changed obviously.
The changes in the structure of the university have taken place and new faculties and departments, new disciplines and specialties have been established. Among them, the medical faculty, the economical faculty, the oriental faculty started their activity and began training doctors, economists, journalists, the specialists in the spheres of technology and computers, banking, finance, management and others.
With the purpose to prepare the scientists in the field of History and Tajik Philology, Physics and General Pedagogy the special dissertation Councils began their activities.
Numerous visits and meetings of President Emomali Rahmon with the staff of our University proves his particular attention to higher education and its science. In response to this concern President of the country Emomali Rahmon was awarded with the title of honorably doctor of Khujand state University named after academician B. Gafurov.
During the period of Independence, with the landscaping and creative work at the University the support of the Government of the Republic, the Ministry of education and the Government of the region has significantly increased. In particular, the construction of a beautiful large sport complex "Khorramshahr", the commissioning of the new University building and a nine-storied residential building with 52 apartments for the teachers of the University is a good illustration. Today Khujand State University named after academician B. Gafurov is considered to be the second higher educational institution after the Tajik National University in terms of technical, educational, scientific and intellectual potential and the number of teaching staff.
Currently, the University has the following faculties: Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Fine Arts and Technology, Chemistry and Biology, Russian Philology, Tajik Philology, Uzbek Philology, Pedagogics, Foreign Languages, Oriental Studies, History and Law, Finance and Market Economy, Art, Geography and Ecology, Physical Education, Telecommunications and Information Technology, and the faculty of part time education for Uzbek schools (located in Jabbor Rasulov district).
The total number of teaching staff of the University is 721. 43 Doctors of science and professors , 8 of them are women, 350candidates of science, 123 of them are women, 216 senior teachers, 149 of them are women, 187teachers, 105 of them are women.
The University has relations and scientific cooperation under the agreement with 45 higher schools of foreign countries, including Beijing agricultural University (China), Xinjiang Pedagogical University (China), State University of Economics, Statistics and Informatics Moscow (Russia), St. Petersburg State University (Russia), Kharkov State National Radioelectronics University (Ukraine), University Jamiatul-Mustafa (Iran), University of Delhi (India), Kazakh National University named after al-Forobi, Hamburg University (Germany) and several universities of Central Asia.
In 2018, 12 (twelve) cooperation agreements with Moscow State Pedagogical University, Orenburg State University, Orenburg State Pedagogical University, Latvian University, Samarkand State University, Fergana State University and Andijon State University named after M. Baburi of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Kyrgyz-Uzbek University of the Kyrgyz Republic were signed .
More than 300 foreign students from Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, South Korea, Turkmenistan and Afghanistan study at the University.
The initiative ofthe headof the country inengaging the girls and boys from far away regions to study at the universities is supported by the administration of our university. Nowadaysabout 1000 students study at different faculties of the University with Presidential quota.
The program of preparing the scientific researchers exists in post graduate, MA and PhD courses and according to this program each year a great number of post graduates, PhD’s and researchers defend their research works.
Currently, the University is making efforts in training specialists in accordance with the world standards of education and research, multilingual education, including bachelor, master and specialist. The expansion of training and education, science at the University, increasing the specialties and expanding the range of activities of faculties can be the fruitful result and successful completion of Higher education.
Today the University staffis directing their activities to the training of highly qualified, talented and gifted specialists for the needs of the Republic.
We are sure that teachers and students of our University, fulfill their sacred mission with dignity, honor, sense of responsibility and a sense of high patriotism along with other higher education institutions.