The Faculty of Foreign Languages is one of the oldest language teaching centers of the University. Before 1955-56 the faculty was a part of the faculty of History and Philology of Leninabad State Pedagogical Institute named after ?? Kirov.
Within 60 years the faculty of Foreign Languages has become the true center of training foreign languages specialists. The role and contribution of deans like Schprinberg D.M., candidate of Pedagogy, Biryukov V.A., candidate of Philology, doctor of Philology, professor Azimova M.N, Jalolov S.J., candidate of Philology and other heads of chairs such like Mikhaylov A.M., candidate of Pedagogy, Turabaeva R.A. candidate of Philology and many others is a great deal to the development of the faculty.
There are four EFL and one ESP Departments in the faculty of Foreign Languages:
- The Chair of English Phonetics and Lexicology;
- The Chair of Translation and English Grammar;
- The Chair of English Languages and Methods of Teaching;
- The Chair of German Language;
More than 140 experienced and junior teachers are engaged in training secondary school teachers and translators. The teachers of the faculty have been widely applying the communicative and interactive approaches into the classes.
Experienced teachers like Pivovarova N. P., Toshmatova N.S., Rajabova M.M., Masaidova M.A., Yunusova M.M., Bobohadjaeva M.A., Sulaymonova M. impart their profound knowledge to young teachers and students as well.
Honorable staff of the faculty including candidates of science like Usmonov K.U., Boymatov A.B., Sharipov A.B., Negmatullaeva M.N., Mulkidjanyan A.J., Abdullaeva M.A., Zikriyoeva M.A., Hasanov V.G., Hasanova V.V. and others have been doing their best to enrich students’ knowledge in linguistics and philology and raise their interest in languages.
Students and specialties
There are 80 groups and about 1186 students in the faculty. In the previous years the faculty trained students only on two qualifications:
- The teacher of English/German and
- The Interpreter/Translator of English/Arabic.
Since 2006-2007 academic year the faculty has been training only teachers of English/German in compliance with new curriculum. The faculty is well equipped with necessary teaching facilities including posters, booklets, books and computer center for teaching foreign languages.
Moreover the faculty is actively engaged in scientific research. Research studies of docents Mikhaylov A.M., Schprinberg D.M., Okunev V.M., Biryukov V.A., Sattorov T.K., Qurbonov .M, Azimova M.N., Jalolov S.J., Usmonov K.U., Negmatullaeva M.N., Sharipov A.V., Boymatov A.V., Mulkidjanyan A.G., and others cover important scientific issues in linguistics and pedagogy as well.
Lots of monographs and hundreds of scientific articles have been published by the teachers of the faculty. Within the last five years, ten teachers of the faculty defended their papers spanning actual issues of modern linguistics and pedagogy. The faculty has close scientific relationship with Moscow university of linguistics, Institute of Linguistics at the Russian academy of sciences (Saint Petersburg), Tajik-Russian Slovenian University and others.
Teachers and students of the faculty have got the opportunities of participating at the International programs as Fulbright, IREX, JFDP, DAAD, Erasmus Mundus and Tempus`s projects as well.
It should be mentioned out that the graduators of the faculty have been playing an increasable role in the pedagogical section of country contribution and international organization as well, as OBCE, GIZ, UNDP, UNO and foreign embassies in and out of the country.