With the acquiescence of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tajikistan and the approval of the Scientific Council of the Khujand State University named after academician B. Gafurov under #3 from 17 December, 2010 the faculty of Geo-Ecology was established.
At the faculty, there are four departments which are as follow:
- Natural Geography,
- Geography of Economic, Demographic,
- The Department of Ecology and Nature Protection,
- Geo-Ecology and Teaching Methods.
- The faculty prepares specialists in the following specialties:
- “Geography and Nature Protection”,
- “Geography of Tourism and Tourism Management”,
- “Agro-Ecology” and “Meteorology and Climatology”.
Today, at the fulltime department of the faculty 486 and at the part time study department 387 students are enrolled in the study.
For preparing specialists there are one doctor of science and a candidate of science in geo-ecology, 2 candidates of science in geology, 4 candidates of science in geography, 1 candidate of science in chemistry, 4 candidates of science in collective farm specialists, 2 candidates of science in biology and 2 candidate of science in pedagogy have been working.
At the faculty there are Master degrees studies are functioning where they are studying in the following specialties: Geography of natural and economic, Demography, Ecology, Geo-Ecology and Nature Protection
With the support of the government faculty has been working in the theme of “Management of Natural Sources and their Use in the process of Higher Education” in which 12 various specialties are followed.
There is a laboratory at the faculty which is called “Studying of Nature Danger and ethnogeny” which gives the opportunities of providing scientific expedition in the country and beyond including Central Asian countries.
The faculty has got close ties with the foreign universities as:
- Moscow State University named after M.V. Lomonosov,
- Russian Federation Geology Institutions of the Academy of the Science,
- Scientific – Research Institute of “KADRAS” of the Academy of Science of the Russian Federation
- University of “Peoples Friendships” of Moscow, Russian Federation
- Universities of Orenburg and Perm of Russian Federation
- Tashkent State University of Uzbekistan
And the universities of the Republic of Tajikistan
- The Department of Natural Geography was established in 1965
«Geography», «Geography and Nature Protection», «Geography and Demography», «Geography and Ecology», «Geography and Tourism Management», «Ecology», «General Ecology».
- The Department of Economy and Demography was established in 1992.
- The Department of Ecology and Nature Protection was established in 2000
- The Department of Geo-ecology and Method of Teaching was established in 2011.