The KSU bearing the name of one of the outstanding people of Tajik nation, Hero of Tajikistan, academician B.Gafurov is regarded to be the biggest education and scientific centers in the Republic.
Within more than 83 years of its functioning the University has been significantly contributing to the spiritual growth of the Tajik nation and promotion of the science and culture in the country. If initially there were only 26 students and nine teachers at the University, nowadays it has been converted into one of the most prestigious centers of the science and culture in training the specialists for our country. During more than seven decades it has trained more than 50 thousand specialists for diverse branches of education and for other branches of national economy who are working faithfully in secondary schools and Academy of sciences (AS), in local and federal governmental offices, at the institutes and Universities of the country for the prosperity of the nation. From the first days of its activity this center considered the spiritual education of the society and raising the culture level of the nation to be the important task and historical mission. Gradually by expanding the number of faculties of the Institute and increasing the specialties the number of the teachers and the students increased and the role and status of teaching became better and effective.
During the entire years of its functioning this center of science and knowledge has achieved to increase the number of the students to 10 thousand and is regarded one of the biggest education establishments of the country. Start of the University’s activity Upon creating the Tajik Soviet Socialists Republic Central Committee of the Communist Party and the Soviet of Commissars of the people of Tajikistan forwarded the proposal about establishing the higher education school, particularly, the teachers training school, because making the people literate was the problem one at that time. Thus, in April of 1932 the Pedagogical Institute was set up in Khujand on the base of the then functioning two-year secondary school teachers training course. In the first academic year, there were departments of Chemistry and Biology, Mathematics and Physics with 26 students. Soon the administration of the Institute decided to turn the teaching process to the evening time (shift) because the students were the ones who had been teaching in primary and secondary schools of the town.
At the beginning of the new academic year the new faculty of workers was set up in the Pedagogical Institute, aimed at teaching basically the workers and peasants. Though the faculty was attached to the Pedagogical Institute it was independent: There were the director, the Vice Director in education, teachers’ staff and workers. The faculty of workers was increasing in number of the students. Already in the first academic year 200 students were studying. The graduates of the faculty used to enroll to many higher institutions of the country. The faculty had functioned till 1940 and was cancelled by the Order of Tajik Soviet Republic and the Commissariat of the national education from July 16, 1940. The first Director of the Institute in Khujand was Muhammadjon Sharifov. He was in this position till 1943. He contributed a lot to creating this Institute. There were many devoted people among the teachers, like Faizullo Abdullozoda, Murod Abdurahimovich Tojiboev, B.M.Komarov, I.I. Birenbaum, A. Pupirnilov, and tens of other teachers who had played significant role in developing of the newly set up Institute.
Institute in 30-40’s. From the end of 30’s the Institute began to expand. In 1935 the construction of the main building of the Institute (now the faculty of Tajik Philology) was begun and after a year it was completed. In 1939 the new two-storied building was built which served at first as the Women’s Pedagogy Institute then it was turned into the faculty of Physics and Mathematics. The Institute’s library was regarded the biggest research center in the city and it stored 25-30 thousand books of diverse fields.
The staff of the Institute was always active and participated in all events of the town and region. The endeavors of the teachers and students of the Leninobod State Pedagogical Institute (LSPI) were particularly noticeable at constructing the Fergana Canal. During the construction of Fergana Canal the teachers and students displayed high patriotism and devotion. Their endeavor was rewarded by the government, for example the senior teacher L.K. Tokmakov and the student K.Mallokhodjaeva were awarded the medal “For excellence service.”
The Institute during the years the Second World War The War disturbed the peaceful life of the people. The staff of the Institute named after Kirov joined the all-nation fight against the armed fascists with strong patriotism. The slogan “Everything for the front and everybody for the victory” that expressed the entire spirit of that time, appealed the staff of the Institute to join the front. The Institute sent several teachers and the students to the acting army. In the first years of the War more than 150 teachers, employees, students were sent to the War to defend the country. They were A.Atoev, K.Dadaboev, A.Kobilov, D.Farostyan, A.Suleimanov, N.Ponamaryov, A, Khojaev, Z. Osimov, N. Akramov and others.
The working schedule of the Institute of those years was very tough. The terms of study were diminished to one year less, as a result all the curricula had been reconsidered, the new disciplines in compliance with the war time had been introduced. The holidays and the examination sessions were cut off; the working hours of the students had been extended. The hours for studying the specialized subjects had been cut and the classes in military defense had been designed. The staff of the Institute devoted its activity entirely to the teaching process and rear activities. However the teaching process normally passed smoothly. Most of the classes were held by means of quizzes. The research topics of the Institute carried out at the Chairs depending on the specialization. Most of the research topics were related to the defense of the country. the research report of the institute about the results of the Research read: V.I.Zuganov “Teaching the history of the secondary school related to the War against the fascist Germany”, M.A.Nossirov “The topic of defense in teaching nature studies”, R.A.Abdulloeva “The topic of defense at Geography lessons” which witnessed the fact of bringing the research topics closer to the War time. Institute in 50-60’s. These years are characterized with the growth of the LSPI. The number of the students and teachers increased and began to train the specialists not only for Tajikistan but also for other Republics. Training the teachers and researches at the Institute was gradually advancing out of the local natives. At the supervision of the member of the AS, doctor of History Yakubovskiy the graduates of the Institute N.Nematov and A.Jalilov commenced researching the history of the Republic of Tajikistan.
If during the War years only ten Chairs were functioning at the Institute, at the end of the 50’s the number of Chairs reached 33 which comprised 385 teachers 84 of them had the scientific degrees, candidates of science and docents. The first native owners of the research degrees were R.Y.Homidov, G.H.Haidarov, A.S.Sulaimanov, A.Y.Kobilov, A.T.Tursunov, A.Mamadov, U.D.Ismailov, U. Akhmedova, K.Tohirova, Sh.Sultonov and others.
Institute in the 60-80’s. In the 60’s significant achievements had been attained. From 1962 the evening courses on training specialties on Mathematics, Physics, Tajik language and Literature, English, Russian language and Literature.
The Institute initiated establishing the faculty the Russian language and Literature out of the local youth. From 1962 the LSPI was the first in the Republic in training teachers of Russian Language and Literature for Tajik and Uzbek schools. The number of scholars increased at the expense of the young scholars as I.Qossimov, K.Rahmatulloev, A.Sattorov, N.Rostovtseva, A.Mazunin, R.Toshmatov, P.Karimov, R.Ashurov. Yu.Salimov, E.Shodiev, A.Nelipa, R.Hojiboeva, A.Mihkailov and others. In 1968 the Head of the Chair “History of the USSR” G.Haidarov defended his doctorate dissertation at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the AS of the USSR.
In 1975-80, forty four young teachers entered the full-time post-graduate studies, and 30 teachers began doing researches as part-time students. The research process was intensified. During 1970-80 five doctorate dissertations and more than 80 candidate dissertations had been completed. These years A.Tursunov, E.Shodiev, V.Ionova, Sh.Ahmodava, N.Tursunov defended their doctorate dissertations. In 1982, by the Order of the Supreme Soviet of the Presidium of the USSR the LSPI was rewarded with the “Order of Excellence” on the occasion of its 50 years anniversary.
Institute, in second half of the 80’s, encountered with the perestroika (reconstruction) policy spreading all over the USSR and gained significant achievements in education and in research. The question of converting the Institute into the University was raised.
The Independent period of our country is regarded as the new period for our University. Because of the research capacity of the Institute in 1991, it was converted into the University. At present the University has been functioning in compliance with “Regulations of the KSU named after academician B.Gafurov”, which was approved by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Tajikistan on July 21, 2000. The specialties are usually determined and approved by the Scholars Board of the University taking into consideration the needs of the region and the Republic.
The administration and the staff of the University are doing their best in delivering the academic and research process, teaching the students in the spirit of patriotism, and self-recognition.
The University has been dealing with diverse issues:
At present there are 15 faculties at the KSU: Physics and engineering, Mathematics, Drawing, Foreign Languages, Tajik Philology, Pedagogy, History, Natural sciences, Philology, Finance and Market economy, Art, Oriental studies and etc.
There are 70 Chairs at the University. The University also has Research Institute of Management and Computer Technology, Pedagogical College, for Humanities, Center for learning English, Russian and Computer technology. The University has been training the specialists of full-time students on the base of 37 branches of science in 61 specialties.
The University has close ties with a number of national and international organization, including SOROS, GIZ, ACCELS, EUROASIA, CARANA CORPORATION, OSCE, ERASMUS MUNDUS, TEMPUS, ERASMUS PLUS, UNESCO, USAID, DAAD, Aga-Khan, etc. KSU intends to be a globally-connected university by developing its bilateral relations with advanced world-wide universities. As well the University cooperates with many International Organizations, Cultural Center of the Islamic Republic of Iran and etc.
Our University has signed bilateral contracts and memorandums of understanding with 32 countries of EU and Central Asian and USA as State Agrarian University of Chine, Russian State University of Statistics & Information in Moscow, St. Petersburg State University, West Michigan University (USA), Kharkov State University of Radio- electronics (Ukraine), the Mahyar Higher Studies Center of the Islamic Republic of Iran, More and more university scholars are taking an active part in International conferences, symposiums, workshops and seminars etc.
Today the University has seven buildings 7 educational buildings, the total education area is 42.514.06 m2, 337Auditoriums and 36 staff rooms for teacher, 180 specialization auditoriums, 39 computer classes, 6 dormitories; 320 computers think line , 100 notebooks , 17 educational laboratories, a library, and some departments at the faculties, an agro-biological garden/base, where 964 workers are employed, 59 electronic boards , 207 projectors , Service computers 3, General Internal connection of the faculties, 66 000 books of numeral libraries. Number of employees of KSU is 1697 people from them: 847 - the number of professors and teachers 2 are the members-correspondents of Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, 47 are doctors of science, 335 are candidates of science Today KSU is the second University in the Republic after the Tajik State National University in regards to the capacity of teaching force and the number of the students. At present the University contains 15 faculties, 70 Chairs, five research centers and Pedagogical College. The number of the students calculates Full-time study: 9114 of which part time study: 8 174 (6989 girls) Girls: 11 389, boys: 5 899, students with presidents quotas: 768 in total 17 288 students.